Friday, February 8, 2008

So many aviation enthusiasts!

I read in Dennise’s post - (Somewhere under the rainbow) - about how her dad got her to love airplanes. Marla shared in her comment on Dennise's post that her dad sparked an aviation interest in her too.

Well, it’s my turn to recognize my dad (pictured with me here)! He’s a private pilot and lifelong aviation enthusiast. He took me to countless air shows and aviation museums when I was a kid. Some were amazing memories – like when I got to meet the Blue Angels and get a pilot’s autograph. And some were a little more of a stretch – like when he took me to an airplane museum for my birthday one year. Not to mention the interesting times we had up in the air, when he would fly me around in the skies over San Diego ... Have you ever seen a balloon float into the sky, just inches away from your window in a small plane? It’s very alarming!

I was so proud to tell my dad when I got a job at San Diego International Airport. I think he must chuckle at me sometimes, as he sees how my aviation interest has grown since working here. I practice my Goodwill Ambassador knowledge and trivia on him all the time. And he’s certainly a loyal reader of this blog (Hi Dad!).

One of my fondest memories in the last few years was taking my dad to the Miramar Air Show in 2004. We took these pictures of the Blue Angels (my favorite!) while we were there.

So I’m curious to know how many more of my fellow employees have aviation ties or stories? I know we have at least a few employees with pilot’s licenses. What are the stories out there? Let me know, or share something by posting a comment right here!

No comments:

Ambassa-Shots

Photographs of life around Lindbergh Field

Mural of the airport's namesake, Charles Lindbergh, by John Jay Whalen on the east side of the Commuter Terminal

Guillermo sculpture at Terminal 1 East

Moonrise over Lindbergh Field, by Joan Van Tassel
Blog Directory - Blogged